The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) was created to protect investors, maintain fair and efficient markets, and facilitate capital formation in the United States. With the increasing frequency and severity of cyber-attacks, today the SEC plays a vital role in overseeing the cybersecurity practices of public companies. In 2020, the SEC provided guidance on cybersecurity risk management, incident response, and disclosure to investors. In March of 2023, the SEC published long-awaited proposed Cybersecurity rules that would address cyber risk and help mitigate it, as well as ensure that covered organizations are prepared in the case of an incident.
- Attorneys advising public corporations today will find the knowledge of these developing cyber guidance and regulations essential to their practice.
- Technology executives: This comprehensive review of the SEC’s proposed cybersecurity regulation and existing guidance will be a valuable tool for technology executives in public companies to assess the current standing of their risk management practices, understand how they should prepare to adjust to the new regulatory developments and how their role can be expected to change in the near future.
In this seminar, our expert panelists begin by giving an overview of the SEC and its role, as well as cybersecurity and the SEC Crypto Assets and Cyber Unit. Next, our speakers review the 2020 SEC Cybersecurity Guidance, followed by a discussion of the 2023 SEC Proposed Rules and the requirements that they are expected to impose. Finally, our experts reflect on the potential impacts of this regulatory development on businesses and what they can expect.
Topics covered in this webinar:
- Overview of the SEC and Cybersecurity
- 2020 SEC Cybersecurity Guidance
- 2023 SEC Proposed Rules
- Potential Impact of Regulations on Businesses
Daniel B. Garrie, Esq. – Founder, Law & Forensics; Neutral, JAMS; Faculty, Harvard
David A. Cass – Senior Partner, Law & Forensics Adjunct Faculty Harvard & Rutgers Law
John D’Agostino – CEO, Dagger Consulting LLC, Senior Advisor, Coinbase
Haimavathi Varadan Marlier – Morrison & Foerster LLP New York NY
Ajoy Kumar – Global CISO, The Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation